Silvestre De Sousa is a flat-racing jockey who is a three-time jockey champion. He is among the most influential and skilled jockeys of all time, with a career win of over four thousand.
Today, we will give you an insight into the personal and professional life of the jockey and reveal the secret behind Silvestre De Sousa’s net worth. So, please keep reading to find out everything about his wealth and income.
Some Facts About the Champion Jockey
- Silvestre was born on 31 December 1980 in Sao Francisco do Maranhao, Brazil, as the youngest child in a family of ten siblings. He relocated to Sao Paulo when he was seventeen years old.
- At the age of 18, De Sousa took his first ride on a racehorse. This happened after he met Fausto Durso, one of the top jockeys in So Paulo at the time.
- De Sousa joined trainer Dermot Weld in Ireland in 2004. However, the adjustment did not go well, and de Sousa initially struggled to get used to the new surroundings.
- The Brazilian was given the opportunity to relocate to England and team up with Thirsk-based trainer David Nicholls after going two years without riding on a racecourse in front of the public.
- The Brazilian jockey is married to the love of his life, Victoria Behan, a bloodstock agent and former apprentice jockey. The lovely couple is parenting three sons.
Prize Money is the Primary Source of His Wealth
Jockeys are paid a handsome amount of money for winning and attaining worthy positions in a race. De Sousa has earned his riches by being one of the best racers ever to grace the sport.
As a jockey, the Brazilian has participated in and won races on multiple occasions, including the Champion Stakes, Lockinge Stakes, International Stakes, and Dubai Turf in 2013.
Similarly, De Sousa has worked with some of the finest names in the horseracing industry, such as Mark Johnston, Godolphin, and King Power Racing.
While employed by Godolphin, Silvestre claimed the 2015 British flat racing Champion Jockey title in 2015, attained the runner-up position in 2016, and once again bagged the championship crown in 2017.
The Brazilian winnings earned him prize money of $718,000 as a Godolphin Jockey. The media exposure and fame were icing on the cake.
Silvestre De Sousa’s net worth was highly influenced by his performance in British horse racing, but he still was not finished with racing.
Move to Hong Kong in 2022 Turned Out to be a Game Changer
Silvestre De Sousa’s earnings in the British flat racing was just the tip of the iceberg compared to his earnings in Hong Kong. He moved to Hong Kong in September 2022 and earned $7.7 million in 343 rides.
This massive figure was unbelievable compared to Britain. Sousa was earning around $2400 per ride in the United Kingdom, but it skyrocketed to a massive $21000 per ride in Hong Kong.
Neil Callan, another accomplished jockey and Sousa’s rival branded the Brazilian earnings as unbelievable as the amount was just ridiculous compared to Britain.
This huge increase in prize money exploded Silvestre De Sousa’s net worth to the sky and made him a millionaire. He still has not retired from racing. So, there is more to come.
Similarly, you might be interested in Anna Van Der Breggen’s Husband.
Explore Silvestre De Sousa’s Net Worth
The champion jockey is currently bathing in vast chunks of money and is earning millions. However, his entire fortune is still undisclosed as of 2023.
Having said that, the Brazilian’s exploits in Hong Kong landed him a massive amount of $7.7 million. So, it is safe to assume that Silvestre De Sousa’s net worth is well over $8 million.
The horse rider is currently banned by the Hong Kong Jockey Club for breaching the rules, but when he returns, he is sure to mesmerize the audience with his skills and earnings.
We hope that Sousa returns from his ban stronger, grace the horse race track once more, and become a champion once again.